Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a question below to see the answer.
- 1. Are all Algenist skincare products formulated with Alguronic Acid?
- Yes, all Algenist skincare products are formulated with patented Alguronic Acid along with other powerful anti-aging ingredients.
- 2. What is the concentration of Alguronic Acid in each Algenist skincare product?
- The concentration of patented Alguronic Acid varies by Algenist skincare product. The amount of Alguronic Acid formulated in each product is equal to, or considerably higher than, levels scientifically tested and proven to produce significant anti-aging benefits.
- 3. Can I use Algenist skincare products in combination with other skincare products?
- Yes, all Algenist skincare products are compatible with other skincare products. Algenist skincare products are clinically tested to be hypoallergenic and noncomedogenic. If you are using prescription skincare products, please be sure to consult your healthcare professional prior to introducing Algenist skincare products to your skincare routine. Algenist skincare products are compatible with your existing skincare routine, but they are most effective when used together as a complete anti-aging skincare regimen.
- 4. What sun protection does the Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50 provide?
- Algenist Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50 combines patented Alguronic Acid with antioxidant-rich botanicals and UVA/UVB protecting actives to provide everyday protection against broad-spectrum UVA/UVB damage. This sheer sunscreen also helps delay signs of aging caused by sun and environmental stressors and protect skin against future damage. If used as directed with other sun protection measures, this product helps reduce the risk of skin cancer, early skin aging, and sunburn.
- 5. Are Algenist skincare products non-comedogenic?
- Yes, all Algenist skincare products are formulated to be non-comedogenic and have been clinically tested by 3rd party laboratories to be non-comedogenic.
- 6. Are Algenist skincare products hypoallergenic?
- Yes, all Algenist skincare products are formulated to be hypoallergenic and have been saftey and allergy tested by 3rdparty laboratories.
- 7. Are Algenist skincare products paraben-free?
- Yes, all Algenist skincare products are formulated without parabens. Algenist products are also formulated without sulfates, synthetic dyes, phthalates, GMOs, or Triclosan.
- 8. What skin types are Algenist skincare products formulated for?
- Algenist skincare products provide highly effective anti-aging benefits for all skin types.
- 9. What SPF ingredients are formulated in Algenist Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer SPF20?
- The SPF ingredients formulated in Algenist Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer SPF 20 are Avobenzone, Homosalate, and Octisalate, which are chemical sunscreens. This anti-aging moisturizer is formulated with chemical, rather than physical sunscreens because physical sunscreens are known for imparting a “ghosting” or whitening effect on the skin, while chemical sunscreens do not. In addition some physical sunscreens provide UVB sun protection, but often fall short on full spectrum UVA protection.
- 10. How long will it take to see anti-aging results from using Algenist skincare products?
- In 3rd party consumer studies, women reported significant visible skin improvement in as little as 10 days. Individual results may vary.
- 11. Does Algenist test on animals?
- Algenist is committed to eliminating animal testing. Innovative solutions are core to our brand and these solutions do not start or stop with a finished product. We are committed to the entire process of product development — from R&D, to production, to how products are brought to market. Ethical practices and procedures are important to us in every step of the value chain, and we believe in finding new, innovative solutions to product and ingredient testing. To that end, we do not conduct animal testing, nor ask others to test on our behalf, unless demanded by the government or regulatory processes to do so. We evaluate our finished products in clinical tests on volunteer panels. Algenist fully supports the development and global adoption of non-animal testing practices.
- 12. Do Algenist products contain fragrances?
- We use a variety of fragrances in our products to further enhance the experience of our Algenist collections, however, these fragrances are used at very low levels. We thoroughly test all of our products to insure they are safe for consumer use. We offer both fragranced and unfragranced products within our line, due to feedback from our customers requesting both options. If there is a hyper-sensitivity to allergens or a preference not to use fragranced products, we suggest our Gentle Rejuvenating Cleanser, Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer, Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer SPF 20, Regenerative Anti-Aging Ultra Rich Cream, Targeted Deep Wrinkle Minimizer, Lip Renewal Balm and any of our eye creams.
- 1. What is microalgae?
- Microalgae are, like their name denotes, microscopic forms of algae—amazing, single cell organisms that thrive in both fresh and salt-water environments, but unlike their larger counterparts, do not have roots, stems, or leaves.
- 2. Does the same type of microalgae used for renewable energy solutions also create Alguronic Acid?
- No, different strains of microalgae are used to produce fuels and Alguronic Acid. Individual strains are chosen based on their ability to produce the desired oils and compounds efficiently and at large scale.
- 3. What is the difference between Alguronic Acid and other skincare ingredients from algae?
- Algae are a large and diverse group of generally multicellular organisms, the largest and most well known of which is seaweed. Blue, green, and red algae all fall into this category. Alguronic Acid is not algae at all, rather a compound that is naturally produced by microalgae—amazing, single cell organisms that thrive in both fresh and salt-water environments, but unlike their larger counterparts, do not have roots, stems, or leaves. Whereas other skincare products use blue, green, or red algae as a direct ingredient, Algenist products use the powerful and rare microalgae-derived compound Alguronic Acid. Alguronic acid is made into a highly effective anti-aging skincare ingredient via a highly refined, 5 phase, 15-step extraction and purification process.
- 1. What is Alguronic Acid?
- Alguronic Acid is a group of complex polysaccharides, produced by specific strains of microalgae that function to protect and regenerate the microalgae cell. The team of biotechnology scientists behind Algenist developed a highly advanced process that allows us to grow microalgae and extract the patented Alguronic Acid compound.
- 2. Who discovered Alguronic Acid?
- After years of research into microalgae as a renewable energy source, our biotechnology scientists unexpectedly discovered a powerful protective and regenerative compound with incredible anti-aging properties known as Alguronic Acid.
- 3. How was Alguronic Acid discovered?
- Alguronic Acid was unexpectedly discovered by a team of scientists at a San Francisco based biotechnology company focused on the development of renewable energy solutions from microalgae. While researching thousands of microalgae strains, the biotechnology scientists identified a protective and regenerative polysaccharide compound produced by certain strains of microalgae that, when isolated and tested, showed significant anti-aging properties.
- 4. How many strains did you research to discover Alguronic Acid?
- Alguronic Acid was discovered through researching thousands of microalgae strains over four years.
- 5. How is Alguronic Acid extracted from the microalgae cell?
- Alguronic Acid, a complex polysaccharide, is naturally produced by microalgae. Algenist utilizes a detailed, multi-phase proprietary extraction and purification process that allows for the isolation of Alguronic Acid from other microalgal cellular components.
- 6. What is a polysaccharide?
- Polysaccharides are carbohydrate structures consisting of repeating units joined together.
- 7. What part of microalgae does Alguronic Acid come from?
- Alguronic Acid is a highly protective and regenerative compound that surrounds the microalgae cell.
- 8. What are the major anti-aging functions and benefits of Alguronic Acid?
- Alguronic Acid is a purified microalgae exopolysaccharide extract. Alguronic Acid’s major anti-aging benefits for the skin are the same as those provided to microalgae cells by these powerful polysaccharide compounds.
Shipping & Returns
- 1. How will I know that my order went through?
- All Algenist.com orders are confirmed via email with your order number and confirmation. To make sure you receive your order confirmation email, please add email@example.com to your address book and/or check your spam folder in case the email is accidentally filtered as spam.
- 2. How will I know that my order shipped?
- You will receive an email when your order leaves our facility. This email confirmation includes a tracking number and shipping provider so that you can track your order to your door. To make sure you receive your shipping status email, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book and/or check your spam folder in case the email is accidentally filtered as spam.
- 3. Which shipping carrier does Algenist.com use to ship orders?
- We partner with FedEx for order delivery. Our Super Saver method is shipped by FedEx SmartPost which utilizes the U.S. Postal Service® for final delivery. FedEx SmartPost reaches every U.S. address, including P.O. boxes, military APO, FPO and DPO destinations as well as Alaska, Hawaii and all U.S. territories. We also offer the option for delivery by FedEx Ground, FedEx Express Saver and FedEx 2 Day.
- 4. What is your return policy?
- Your satisfaction is important to us. If you are not completely happy with your Algenist skincare products, you may return them within 30 days of your order date. If you received a free gift with your purchase, you must return the free gift in addition to the products purchased. You will receive a full refund on the cost of your purchase. For details on how to process a return, please visit: http://www.algenist.com/customer-care/returns-exchanges.
- 5. Do you accept international orders?
- Algenist partners with Borderfree, a global e-commerce provider, to offer international shipping. Borderfree allows us to show all our prices in your currency and displays your final total during Checkout. Borderfree also lets us take advantage of a fast, reliable shipping network.
When you place an international order, your transaction will be with Borderfree, but Algenist is happy to handle all your customer service needs. Visit Borderfree to start shopping! Please view our International Orders guide to learn more about this service.Close
- 6. Do you accept international credit cards?
- Yes, you can submit your order via our global e-commerce partner, Borderfree. Your transaction will be with Borderfree, but Algenist is happy to handle all your customer service needs. Please view our International Orders guide to learn more about this service.
- 7. Can you send me free samples?
- Currently, free Algenist samples are not available for general distribution. We do offer travel size products, which are a great way to introduce yourself to the Algenist skincare line. In addition, with each Algenist.com order we offer you the ability to choose 3 Free Samples. You can also sign up for Algenist.com emails to be the first to hear about new Algenist skincare products, latest trends, and exclusive online coupon codes.
- 8. How do I create an Algenist.com account?
- To create an Algenist.com account, please visit and complete the registration form at: https://www.algenist.com/customer/account/create. Once registered, you will receive an email confirming the creation of your Algenist.com account. Please be sure to check your spam folder in case the email is accidentally filtered as spam. You will be able to log-in to your Algenist.com account at: http://www.algenist.com/customer/account/login.
- 9. I forgot my password. How do I log-in to my Algenist.com account?
- If you have an existing Algenist.com account, to retrieve your password please visit: https://www.algenist.com/customer/account/forgotpassword. Enter your email address and then click “Submit.” Please check your spam folder to ensure that the email does not accidentally get filtered as spam.
- 10. Does anyone else see the information that I provide to Algenist.com?
- 11. Is it safe to use my credit card?
- To ensure that your order is placed safely and securely on Algenist.com, we've implemented Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology. This is the most advanced consumer online security technique to date. For further information regarding the the SSL certificate please go to www.algenist.com/checkout and click on the lock icon that appears on your address bar.
- 12. Why am I being charged sales tax on my order?
- You are being charged sales tax on your order because Algenist has a nexus in your state. Nexus, also known as sufficient physical presence, is the determining factor of whether an out-of-state business selling products into a state is liable for collecting the tax on sales in the state. This presence gives the state the right to require a company to pay or collect and remit certain taxes.